Recent articles

  • VE Day 75 – Friday 8th May 2020

    Our Memorial Hall was built to honour the fallen in two world wars and give thanks to those who returned. It is appropriate therefore that we play our full part in the national celebrations and village activities planned for May Day Bank Holiday 2020 - moved to Friday 8th May for this purpose.Our afternoon begins with a what is hoped will be a re-enactment of what is believed to have been a visit to Metcalfe’s shop by ‘Monty’ which will continue on to The Joiners where there will be renditions of the Last Post and The Battle’s O’er following by a Toast to the Heroes as per the suggested national programme, with the Ukulele Band providing additional entertainment during the afternoon. The evening ends with a 40's Dance Party at the Memorial Hall.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
  • Roman Roads in Yorkshire.

    Gazetteer by the Roman Roads Research AssociationCovering all of Britain’s Roman roads, the Gazetteer, when completed, will be the first survey of Britain’s Roman roads since Ivan Margary’s final edition of Roman Roads in Britain in 1973. We aim to provide an up to date evaluation of each Roman road and, since new discoveries are being made all the time this online resource gives us the flexibility to make amendments and additions.
  • Yoga for Health and Happiness

    Beginners’ 10 week course starts 29th April 2019 at Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall Monday 9:30am – 10:30am Course fee £60  Places limited For more info and to book, contact Sue Beever Mobile 07801 064819 Email suebeever@gmail.com
  • Hampsthwaite’s Dancing for Well-Being group on ITV

    A film featuring Dancing for Well-Being’s Hampsthwaite group will be shown on ITV’s Calendar North News at 6.00 p.m. on Friday 5th April.  From 1st April you can also see the film on the People’s Projects website – www.thepeoplesprojects.org.uk/projects/view/together-through-dance
  • Privacy and Cookies

    This privacy and cookies policy sets out how Hampsthwaite Village 2011 uses and protects any information that you may give Hampsthwaite Village 2011 when you use this website.
  • Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View

    (click photo to enlarge)
  • Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View - photo

    (click photo to return to full article)
RSS Feed of this page

Hampsthwaite Residents

A photo gallery of Hampsthwaite residents to add life to our history of the village buildings. Photos are contextualised with the information available to us. See also the article on our War Memorial for information on the sons of Hampsthwaite lost during two world wars and the Gallery section for other photo collections.

We would greatly appreciate comments, corrections or additional contributions - email: Hampsthwaite web site group.

Walter and Ethel Appleby in 1916-17 - click for full size image
Walter and Ethel Appleby in 1916-17
Walter and Ethel Appleby in 1916-17

Walter and Ethel Appleby, the two youngest of the family of John and Sarah Ann (nee Brotherton) Appleby, who lived at Park View in The Hollins. It was taken when Walter was on leave from France about 1916-17 when Ethel was 18 years old.

Ethel Appleby married John Horace Appleby, a well known joiner, on the 26th December 1924. In spring 1931 they went to live at the shop, which is now the Post Office, when the old Post Office was demolished for road widening. They became Postmaster and Postmistress.


The photograph was sent in by Beatrice Rush (nee Appleby), who was the last Appleby to be born at Glen Allen on the 14th October 1926. She traces her family back to William Appleby, born 1790 at Brampton Green, near York, who came to The Hollins when he married Ann Leatham, born at Hampsthwaite in 1797. They had a large family, most born and living in The Hollins and marrying into local families. Beatrice's sister and brother were also born in the village


Barton House
Barton House
Postcard with left to right: Harold, Ernest and Tom Barker - click for full size image
Postcard with left to right: Harold, Ernest and Tom Barker
Barker Family History circa 1914-18

In 1887 in the registration district of Pateley Bridge, Frederick William Barker (1862 - 1930) born in Hampsthwaite, married Margaret Benson (1865 - 1899) born in Darley. Frederick’s  occupation was a stone mason as was his father before him.

They lived at Barton House on Hollins Lane in Hampsthwaite (now known as Throstles' Nest) and had 8 children;
  • Alice Barker (1887 - 1973)
  • Benson Barker (1889 - 1943)
  • Peter Barker (1891 - 1893)
  • Frederick William (Willie) Barker (1892 - 1917)
  • Tom Barker (1895 - 1966)
  • Harold Barker (1896 - 1917)
  • Jane E Barker (1897 - 1918)
  • Ernest Barker (1898 - ?)
Neighbours enjoying a New Year Party - click for full size image
From left to right: Olive Haxby and husband Charles Askwith Haxby seated next to Mr and Mrs Fred Trembath.

Information provided by Mr David Haxby (son and resident in Hampsthwaite from 1936-1968 with a short break when doing National Service).






Tom and Ruth Baren - click for full size image
Tom and Ruth Baren
Tom and Ruth Baren

The 1901 census for Hampsthwaite shows Tom Baren living with his parents and five siblings at Saltergate Hill. Tom’s father, Edward, was a farmer there and he and his wife with their children seem to have arrived in the Hampsthwaite area after several years of living in Harrogate where Tom was born in 1876.

By 1911 Tom had been married for nine years to Ruth Pumphrey (born 1869 at Ampney Crucis in Gloucestershire) and they lived in Hollins Lane in Hampsthwaite with their children Flora, Thomas, Wilfred and George (another child, Alice, was to be born in1913).

Tom was employed as a general labourer. This photograph was obviously taken after 1914 for we see Tom in his Army uniform. He had enlisted in 1915. Sadly, Tom was killed in action in France in 1917 and his name is one of the twenty two names recorded on the village war memorial (click here to read about his war service)


Ladies outside Finden Bungalows - click for full size image
Ladies outside Finden Bungalows

Ladies outside Finden Bungalows

Left to right:

Mrs Bussey,  Miss Lane, Mrs Baren, Mrs Pawson, Mrs Emmett,  Mrs Barker,  Mrs Appleby (Nellie)


The Village Assembled - click for full size image
The Village Assembled
Photo of Hampsthwaite residents - believed to have been taken early 20th century (circa 1930)


Ernest Atkinson's trip to the Wedgwood factory - click for full size image
Ernest Atkinson's trip to the Wedgwood factory
Ernest Atkinson's trip to the Wedgwood factory


Members of the Hobkinson family - click for full size image
Members of the Hobkinson family

The Hobkinson Family

In this photograph we see members of the Hobkinson family which was part of village life for almost a century up to the 1960s. On the right is Frederick Hobkinson who was born in Starbeck, Harrogate in 1874 but by 1881 had moved with his parents to live in Hampsthwaite where his father worked as a platelayer. Frederick took up work as a shoemaker and in 1897 married Mary Jane Heward the Housekeeper & Cook to Doctor Ashby (see the article on Thimbleby House).

The couple had removed to West Hartlepool by the time of the 1901 census and Frederick was manager of a shoe repair shop there for a short time before moving to Huddersfield. They returned to Hampsthwaite around 1920 and Frederick had a workshop here at the rear of “Marie Claire”. Later he seems to have worked from a cobbler’s shop near the Old Post Office (see the separate article) for it is said to have been later demolished for road widening. The family lived for a time in Finden Gardens until after the death of Mary Jane in 1947 when Frederick returned to Huddersfield.

Mary Jane appears in the photograph above as does her and Frederick’s son also called Frederick.

Frederick junior was, like his father, a cobbler by trade but also a postman and had married in 1935 Annie Jones who was employed as a housemaid at Hollins Hall and whom he met when delivering post there. They lived after marriage at Nutshell Cottages (next to the church – see the article) and Frederick junior had a cobbler’s shop in the terrace next to the Joiners Arms and facing the present-day village store. He later moved into what is now the hairdressers shop opposite. In about 1950 the family moved into nearby Brook Cottage which Frederick had earlier purchased and renovated for occupation (the finding of an old wooden water wheel in the adjacent beck suggested that the old building had been a mill).
    
Frederick and Annie sold up and moved to Summerbridge in about 1967 and it was there that Fred died in 1969.


Percy Townsend Hough
Percy Townsend Hough
Percy Townsend Hough arrived as Headmaster of Hampsthwaite C.E. Primary School in 1925. He was highly regarded by villagers as a humane and excellent teacher who commanded great respect from the pupils. He had fought in the Great War as a Captain in the Royal Engineers and received the MC for gallantry. He was a tunneller, laying explosives under Vimy Ridge (described evocatively by Faulks in Birdsong).

He lived in the school house with his wife and son, Richard. He had a lovely garden with lots of roses and he had beehives, so the children got lessons in Bee-keeping. He died very young at the age of 44 in 1937. His widow continued to live on in the village for many years after his death and was an active Church  member.

View the articles below for accounts of his experiences in WW1:



Maurice Wray aged 78 (2012) at the Boar Statue in Ripley, North Yorkshire.
Maurice Wray aged 78 (2012) at the Boar Statue in Ripley, North Yorkshire.
Recollections of Hampsthwaite by Maurice Wray who was born in Chapel Allerton, Leeds in 1934 but whose mother, Dorothy Vivien Wray (nee Breaks) was born in Hampsthwaite in 1908 and was largely brought up there by her grandparents, William and Sarah Anne Busfield, who lived on Church Lane where Lamb Cottage is now.


Family of Frank Stephen Brown - click for full size image
Family of Frank Stephen Brown

Frank Stephen Brown with his parents Frank and Rebecca, his three sisters Alice Agnes, Annie, Elsie and younger brother Robert Edwin Brown.

Frank was employed as a farm labourer. This photograph must have been taken before 1918 because Rebecca died before her son was killed in action in France on 12th September 1918 at the age of 21. His name is one of the twenty two names recorded on the village war memorial (click here to read about his war service)



Hampsthwaite Residents

A photo gallery of Hampsthwaite residents to add life to our history of the village buildings. Photos are contextualised with the information available to us. See also the article on our War Memorial for information on the sons of Hampsthwaite lost during two world wars and the Gallery section for other photo collections.

We would greatly appreciate comments, corrections or additional contributions - email: Hampsthwaite web site group.