Recent articles

  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    Following Lockdown, Village and Community Halls were able to accommodate indoor sport and exercise, dancing classes and certain other performance-related activity from 25th July 2020.The Memorial Hall Management Committee is taking a steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
RSS Feed of this page

Abattoir

Link to 383

As a centre of agriculture, Hampsthwaite has had many slaughterhouses in or near the village area. According to plans drawn by the late Bernard Wilson (see Book One -"Villagers' Reminiscences") one was situated off Hollins Lane; another opposite the present Peckfield estate; another amongst farm buildings south of the Village Room; behind the site of the Joiners Arms; on farmland abutting the north bank of the river and east of the river bridge; on a site near South Royd and yet another to the east of the barns from which South Royd and adjacent houses were recently formed. The approximate positions of those slaughterhouses can be seen by clicking here to see illustrations produced for a village history exhibition by Bernard Wilson on which they are marked as 'SLT HOUSE'. It is the last of those slaughterhouses (marked 3RD SLT HOUSE) which we see in the aerial photograph above and that one which assumed the greatest importance. It stood on part of the farmland owned by the Addyman family (click here to read an account of ownership of land on the east side of Church Lane).

Bernard Wilson had this to say . . ."The abattoir, as run by Mr. Addyman, has always been here and cannot really be moved from its present spot. In the past all the buildings around it were part of a huge farm, while the abattoir itself was solely for the locals in the village. Of the other slaughter houses, one was up near the Dale Hall, and I used to go there on Mondays and Tuesdays to help my uncle; the main one when I was a child was down at Bridge End Farm, over the bridge and down what we called "the cinder path" on the right. I rather think that there was a family there called Dearlove, some relation to the Addyman's, hence Dearlove Addyman's name"

Villagers today will have memories of how, until recent years, the Abattoir received a stream of deliveries of livestock sent for slaughter from farms in the vicinity and creating frequent congestion in Church Lane as vehicles queued for entry to the site. Until as recently as 2007/8 a line of steel bollards stood on the pavement opposite the entrance so as to protect pedestrians from such traffic. The slaughterhouse itself was demolished when, at the beginning of the present century, planning permission was given for the construction on the slaughterhouse site of the housing development known as "St. Thomas a'Becket Walk". Notwithstanding the traffic and other nuisances which may have been associated with the slaughterhouse, there was considerable resistance to the granting of planning permission and that can be read about by clicking here.

Abattoir

As a centre of agriculture, Hampsthwaite has had many slaughterhouses in or near the village area. According to plans drawn by the late Bernard Wilson (see Book One -"Villagers' Reminiscences") one was situated off Hollins Lane; another opposite the present Peckfield estate; another amongst farm buildings south of the Village Room; behind the site of the Joiners Arms; on farmland abutting the north bank of the river and east of the river bridge; on a site near South Royd and yet another to the east of the barns from which South Royd and adjacent houses were recently formed. The approximate positions of those slaughterhouses can be seen by clicking here to see illustrations produced for a village history exhibition by Bernard Wilson on which they are marked as 'SLT HOUSE'. It is the last of those slaughterhouses (marked 3RD SLT HOUSE) which we see in the aerial photograph above and that one which assumed the greatest importance. It stood on part of the farmland owned by the Addyman family (click here to read an account of ownership of land on the east side of Church Lane).

Link to 383