Recent articles

  • Here I Belong by Matt Hartley

    Performed by Falling Stars Theatre Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall, North Yorkshire, HG3 2EJSat 25th April 2020Travel through time from 1953 to the present day in this moving, funny and charming play about village life. Elsie has lived in the village for sixty years. She has seen elections, weddings, wars, people coming, people going. The village is where her daughter grew up, it’s where her husband died and it’s where she’s going to stay.Performed by Falling Stars Theatre. Known for their immersive style of performance they will capture your imagination and make you feel like you are living the play with the characters. Don’t miss this opportunity to see exciting, engaging theatre right on your doorstep.Tickets available via TicketSource at : https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on/hollins-lane/hampsthwaite-memorial-hall/here-i-belong-by-matt-hartley-performed-by-falling-stars-theatre/2020-04-25/19:30/t-amzgoq
  • VE Day 75 – Friday 8th May 2020

    Our Memorial Hall was built to honour the fallen in two world wars and give thanks to those who returned. It is appropriate therefore that we play our full part in the national celebrations and village activities planned for May Day Bank Holiday 2020 - moved to Friday 8th May for this purpose.Our afternoon begins with a what is hoped will be a re-enactment of what is believed to have been a visit to Metcalfe’s shop by ‘Monty’ which will continue on to The Joiners where there will be renditions of the Last Post and The Battle’s O’er following by a Toast to the Heroes as per the suggested national programme, with the Ukulele Band providing additional entertainment during the afternoon. The evening ends with a 40's Dance Party at the Memorial Hall.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
  • Roman Roads in Yorkshire.

    Gazetteer by the Roman Roads Research AssociationCovering all of Britain’s Roman roads, the Gazetteer, when completed, will be the first survey of Britain’s Roman roads since Ivan Margary’s final edition of Roman Roads in Britain in 1973. We aim to provide an up to date evaluation of each Roman road and, since new discoveries are being made all the time this online resource gives us the flexibility to make amendments and additions.
  • Yoga for Health and Happiness

    Beginners’ 10 week course starts 29th April 2019 at Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall Monday 9:30am – 10:30am Course fee £60  Places limited For more info and to book, contact Sue Beever Mobile 07801 064819 Email suebeever@gmail.com
  • Hampsthwaite’s Dancing for Well-Being group on ITV

    A film featuring Dancing for Well-Being’s Hampsthwaite group will be shown on ITV’s Calendar North News at 6.00 p.m. on Friday 5th April.  From 1st April you can also see the film on the People’s Projects website – www.thepeoplesprojects.org.uk/projects/view/together-through-dance
  • Privacy and Cookies

    This privacy and cookies policy sets out how Hampsthwaite Village 2011 uses and protects any information that you may give Hampsthwaite Village 2011 when you use this website.
  • Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View

    (click photo to enlarge)
RSS Feed of this page

Ownership of properties on the East side of Church Lane

Despite the existence of records at the West Riding Deeds Registry, it is difficult to trace the ownership of properties back beyond the 20th century. The use of plans was not common in earlier days and title deeds often describe properties by reference to their then occupants and the owners or occupants of adjacent plots. People living in the vicinity at the time such property was described in a deed may well have understood what was being described but later generations do not often have the necessary local knowledge to interpret the deeds.

The records at the Registry reveal transactions in land in Hampsthwaite involving one James Atkinson in 1827 - 9 and by Henry, William and Joseph Atkinson (all three described as timber merchants) later in the century and it may be that James was the father of the other three. The land they dealt in is not presently identifiable but it is clear that by 1909 HANNAH BURTON was the owner of substantial acreage in Church Lane and that she was very probably the daughter of one of the three Atkinsons who were purchasing land from Thomas Sheepcoates in 1876. Her maiden name was Atkinson and she seems to have married Robert Burton a widower and an auctioneer of Pannal in about 1905. Her connection to Henry Atkinson is suggested not only by the contents of early deeds but also by the census records which, in 1851, reveal a Henry Atkinson living at "Toll Bar Hamlet" with (amongst others) his daughter Hannah. Henry is described as a joiner but by the time of the next census in 1861 he is said to be an Innkeeper, carpenter and farmer occupying the "Star Inn" at Bilton with Harrogate and he has another daughter, Jane. Later census records show the two sisters living with their father as he changes residences to 7 Skipton Road (when he is said to be a farmer of 80 acres) and Hill Top (farm?) when he has the additional occupation of wagon builder.

[One of the stained glass windows in the parish church was installed by Hannah and Jane Atkinson as a memorial to their parents after their deaths].

On the 24th August 1909 Hannah acquired by Conveyance from Jane Atkinson and Peter Wilkinson more than 27 acres of largely agricultural land on the east side of Church Lane. This was described as the one equal undivided third part or share of Henry Atkinson (her father?). It may be that Jane and Peter Wilkinson were giving effect to Henry's will. The property was described as consisting of the "dwellinghouse with the garden in front thereof together with farm buildings offices stables coach-house and other premises near thereto and four closes of grassland and a croft adjoining and containing 27 acres 2 roods or thereabouts in the respective occupations of Mr Addyman and Mrs Riegels-Cory Also all those 2 dwellinghouses and gardens containing ... 20 roods 20 perches and in the respective occupations of Mrs Gill and Mrs Brown And also ... the cottage and garden (31 perches) in occupation of Mr Haxby".

The plan annexed to the Conveyance shows the extent of the land acquired and it clearly includes "The Granary", "Ashley House", what is now described as "Ashville", the large farm buildings now fronting the road and called "Village Farm", the long barns (now converted to four dwellings - South Royd, Byre Cottage, Coppings and Swallow Cottage) and "Saddler Haxby's cottage" next to the school.

The plan also describes Mrs Burton as already owning the block of buildings extending north from the Granary i.e. those now known as "Gooselea", "The Fold", "Corner Cottage", "Cornerstone House", "Lamb Cottage" and "The End Cottage".

Thus, we have in 1909 an almost complete record of ownership of all the properties on the east of Church Lane!

In 1918 Mrs Burton conveyed "Ashville" to WILLIAM HAXBY described as a saddler. The plan attached to the conveyance describes the adjacent property "Ashley House" as occupied by Mr Wrigglesworth and on the 7th March 1924 that property is conveyed to JOHNSON WRIGGLESWORTH by the executors of Mrs Burtons' will. On the same day they convey to DEARLOVE ADDYMAN what appears to be the remainder of the land and buildings owned by Mrs Burton, namely, "4 cottages fronting ... the Town Street ... in the occupation of W. Busfield, E. Hawe, M.A.Wilks and S. Swale. Also the dwellinghouse known as The Temperance Hotel in the occupation of Mrs Thompson ... the dwelling and garage occupied by Preston Milne ... saddler's shop and garden occupied by William Haxby .. the farm and 27 acres occupied by .. Dearlove Addyman and a garth occupied by G. Briggs".

Following the death of Dearlove Addyman his executors conveyed on the 23rd June 1944 to JOYCE MARY SMITH "the Temperance Hotel cottage outbuildings and premises and the gardens and land behind now in the occupation of Mr Longstaff and Mrs Scaife". They conveyed on the same day to CHARLES PHILIP FOTHERGILL the three cottages on the south of the Temperance Hotel viz. Corner Cottage, The Fold and Gooselea which they described as being in the occupation of "Nurse Wood, Miss Harrison and Mrs Gibson". On the 30th June 1950 Fothergill conveyed those cottages to ARTHUR HERBERT AULTON and VERA MAY AULTON and on that date also Smith conveyed to the Aultons the Temperance Hotel and its adjoining buildings. Thus, the whole row of properties extending northwards from The Granary were first divided between Smith and Fothergill and then re-united in the hands of the Aultons.

The farm buildings and land ("Village Farm") have been in the occupation of the Addyman family since before 1924 and continue so to the present day. However, more pieces were sold off in the 1970s. In January 1974 the family sought planning consent for the creation of 5 new dwellings out of the disused farm buildings which extended down the east side of Church Lane and lay opposite to the grounds of the Vicarage (now called "The Old Parsonage"). The planning officer expressed his view that this was "a most important site" and that development should involve "conversion" of the existing buildings rather than entirely new builds and this suggestion was accepted by the applicants who amended their application accordingly. On the 7th March 1974 outline consent was granted subject to agreement on the number of dwellings to be created (the Parish Council had argued for 4 rather than 5 houses). The buildings later created were "South Royd", "Byre Cottage", "The Coppings", "Knottfield" and "Swallow Cottage". Subsequent conveyances are as follows:-

Temperance Hotel20.8.1957Mr & Mrs Aulton to Grace Evelyn Whalley
 31.8.1962Mrs Whalley to Brian Brittain Pugh
 6.1 1970Mr Pugh to Edgar and Hilda Mary Dunford

The recording of property transactions at the West Riding Deeds Registry ceased in 1972 but

Lamb Cottage14.8.1957Mr & Mrs Aulton to Hugh McGovern
South Royd1.5.1981G.Hewson Ltd. to Jack and Barbara Slater
 30.11.2007Mr & Mrs Slater to Richard and Penny Louden
Coppings23.10.78G.Hewson Ltd to Betty Haddersley Pugh
Knottfield?G.Hewson Ltd to Mrs A,M.Averdieck
Ownership of properties on the East side of Church Lane

Despite the existence of records at the West Riding Deeds Registry, it is difficult to trace the ownership of properties back beyond the 20th century. The use of plans was not common in earlier days and title deeds often describe properties by reference to their then occupants and the owners or occupants of adjacent plots. People living in the vicinity at the time such property was described in a deed may well have understood what was being described but later generations do not often have the necessary local knowledge to interpret the deeds.