Recent articles

  • Hampsthwaite Bridge - photo

    "Hampsthwaite Bridge over the River Nidd. Built in 1598, rebuilt 1640, alterations made in the 19th century. I have been wanting to photograph this bridge for a while now; today the winter light, the sparse vegetation and the mottled snow that remained on the bank of a feeder drain, were perfect."Simon HillJanuary 17th 2021(click photo to return to full article)
  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    The Memorial Hall Management Committee has taken steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
RSS Feed of this page

Hall Garth

(click photo to enlarge)

Link to 473

. . . and Garthside Cottage

The origins of this house as a former barn are clear from this photograph. The barn was last in use as such during the occupancy of the last tenant farmer at Manor House Farm - Mr. Fred Horner. This early aerial photograph shows the building in the days when the farming use still continued.

Link to 382

That use ceased when the farmhouse and its outbuildings were offered for sale in September of 1975.

Sale PosterSale PosterSale PosterSale Poster

It appears that the successful purchaser was Mr. H. Clough of 9 Belmont Road Harrogate . . .

In 1976 Mr H. Clough applied for planning permission to convert the large barn fronting the Birstwith Road into a dwellinghouse. The Parish Council expressed concern that soakaway from a proposed septic tank might contaminate the village well but the application was nevertheless granted, the planning officer commenting that this was "a good conversion which pays proper regard to the farm (?form) and character of the existing building". Certainly, the building's origins as a working farm building are still apparent in the imposing front elevation.

In the same year a separate permission was granted for the installation of a caravan on the site, the permission being limited to the duration of the conversion works or one year at the most.

In 1980 a further permission was sought by Mr Clough to allow the conversion of about 450 square feet of the barn's outbuildings into a hairdressing salon. This provoked an objection from a village resident concerned by the prospect of competition for the established salon in the High Street. The objector commented ". . . back-room hairdressing complained of before seems to have made enough money to come out and try to take someone else's livelihood. I hope justice will be done and it will not be allowed" The Planners seem to have recognised that refusal might interfere with an existing business on the premises of Hall Garth for permission was granted but expressed to be personal to Anne Bramley and Ruth Clough only while they resided at Hall Garth and that thereafter the salon area should revert to ancillary domestic accommodation.

In 1984 permission was granted to a new owner (Mr M. Robertson) for the creation of offices in a further part of the outbuildings attached to the salon and subject to the offices being used only in connection with the adjacent dwelling.

1985 saw the grant of a further permission for conversion of more outbuildings to a separate dwelling specifically designed for disabled use.

In 1990 and 1991 the offices and the salon were permitted to revert to domestic use in connection with the main dwelling of Hall Garth.

For details of earlier ownership history click on Manor Farm House.

Hall Garth

(click photo to enlarge)

Link to 473