Recent articles

  • Hampsthwaite Bridge - photo

    "Hampsthwaite Bridge over the River Nidd. Built in 1598, rebuilt 1640, alterations made in the 19th century. I have been wanting to photograph this bridge for a while now; today the winter light, the sparse vegetation and the mottled snow that remained on the bank of a feeder drain, were perfect."Simon HillJanuary 17th 2021(click photo to return to full article)
  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    The Memorial Hall Management Committee has taken steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
RSS Feed of this page

Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View

Link to 716
(click photo to enlarge)
These three cottages face away from the adjacent road and what we see in this photograph is the rear elevation. Whether this arrangement dates back to their first  construction is not known but the proximity to passing vehicular traffic certainly makes it appropriate today.

The lighter area of colour of the stonework on the elevation we see immediately gives a clue to past building activity inasmuch as it draws attention to the apparent difference in age of the eastern and western portions. Furthermore, the western section is defined by a number of quoins or large pieces of stone forming its sides. In this same area we can also see the outline of some former opening albeit too low to form a doorway. The darker colour of the eastern portion may suggest that it is older than that on the right. On this portion also we signs of change where a window once existed.

Records in the West Riding Deeds Registry show that the site was acquired in 1843 by Joseph Scaife from Richard Pawson and John Dalby both of Killinghall when the property was described as being several dwellinghouses but “now converted into six dwellinghouses formerly occupied by James Barker, George Mawson, Sarah Hayes and Thomas Metcalf but now occupied by John Cooper, Mathew Jennings, Richard Barker, John Barker, Ann Steel and Dinah Barker”

A later mortgage document of 1889 shows the site to have been acquired  by Joseph Simpson a draper of Bradford who appears to have had numerous investments in property throughout the West Riding. His interest in the present properties was described in the mortgage as “Firstly five messuages or dwellinghouses or tenements now converted and occupied as four dwellinghouses and the outbuildings yards gardens orchards and other appurtenances to the same belonging situate and being in Hampsthwaite in the said county of York formerly the estate of Joseph Scaife deceased and formerly in the several occupations of Robert Jeffrey John Barker James Swale and Richard Barker but now or late of Robert Pullan and Asquith Huxley and the others unoccupied and Secondly all those two messuages or dwellinghouses recently occupied as one dwellinghouse with the outbuildings yards gardens orchards and other appurtenances to the same belonging situate and being in Hampsthwaite aforesaid late the estate of the said Joseph Scaife deceased formerly in the occupation of David Atkinson and his undertenants And Also All That building heretofore used as a stable workshop and gighouse situate in Hampsthwaite aforesaid and abutting on the north east side thereof to  the highway leading from Hampsthwaite to Darley aforesaid on or towards the south east by the highway leading from Hampsthwaite to Swincliffe on or towards the south west by the estate now or late of Richard Dearlove and on or towards the north west by the estate now or late of B J Wilson”.

In the photograph above can be seen (on the extreme right) part of the single storey buildings now forming Bower’s Funeral Undertaking. Does that represent the site and buildings of the stable etc. described in 1889?

By the time of the Land Tax survey in 1910 Joseph Simpson was still recorded as the freehold owner of five cottages and a lock-up shop the tenants being Moon, Ellis,, Brooke, Grainge, Haxby and Atkinson.

So we have a rather confusing history of building alterations and changes of tenants and that only at three specific points in a period of sixty eight years. At least it does provide firm evidence of the age of the buildings dating back before 1843. This places these modest cottages among the oldest surviving in Hampsthwaite.
Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View
(click photo to enlarge)
Link to 716