Recent articles

  • Memorial Photos - Miscellaneous

    General repository for photos and images used in Preserving Our Past
  • Residents

    General Repository for photos and other data relatiing to Hampsthwaite Residents
  • Memorial Photos - Felliscliffe Chapel-of-Ease

    General repository for Felliscliffe Chapel-of-Ease photos used in Preserving Our Past
  • Memorial Photos - St Thomas a'Becket - 1-1000

    General repository for St Thomas a'Becket photos used in Preserving Our Past
  • Memorial Photos - St Thomas a'Becket - 1001-2000

    General repository for St Thomas a'Becket photos used in Preserving Our Past
  • Memorial Photos - St Thomas a'Becket - 2001 - 3000

    General repository for St Thomas a'Becket photos used in Preserving Our Past
  • Memorial Photos - St Thomas a'Becket -3001-4000

    General repository for St Thomas a'Becket photos used in Preserving Our Past
  • PLOT No. ## Felliscliffe Chapel-of-Ease

    Approximate location of Plot at the Felliscliffe Chapel of Ease, Kettlesing, HG3 2LB
  • Hampsthwaite Village Room and COVID-19

    The Village Room Committee has taken steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Village Room Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the Village Room Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • Hampsthwaite Community Room and COVID-19

    The Community Room Committee has taken steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Community Room Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the  Community Room Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
RSS Feed of this page

Pump Cottage

Link to 648
(click on photo to enlarge)
The Land Tax survey of 1910 describes this property as a House and Garth with land extending to 2 acres 3 roods and 29 perches in the copyhold ownership of Martha Clough and occupation of George Annakin as a yearly tenant. It describes the buildings thus…

House. Stone & blue slated in fair repair contains 1 sitting room & 1 living room & pantry. 4 bedrooms. Small flower garden to front & yard at rear.

Since 1909: generally repaired and two stone bays added to ground floor front. Yard concreted.

Buildings: Old stone built range to NW of house comprising 2 stall stable, wd house, coals & washhouse. Since 1909 pulled down & new brick & slate range erected (?outside) comprising lock up butchers shop fronting Hollins Road concreted front, washhouse wd & coal place.

Old stone & pantiles range south of house, poorish repair comprising mistal for 2. Cart shed, pig sty & manure tip. Since 1909 new brick and blue slated range built close to and comprising 2 stall stable, mistal for 4, slaughter house & (?pinning) shop. Concrete floor and concrete yard (    ?).

Land: Field 245 Pasture land fairly level to road  frontage to Hollins Road. (    ?) fences fair.

So it seems that shortly before the arrival of the surveyor a number of the old outbuildings were replaced with new structures. In the 1909 Ordnance Survey Map we can see some buildings on the north west and south sides of the house but we do not know whether these are the old or the replacement buildings.

image
In any event, it is apparent that all or most of the structures which were new in 1910 have since gone, been replaced or put to different use. The shop has been replaced by or converted to a garage. The slaughterhouse is believed to have become the bungalow now standing close to the south of the cottage.

We also see no sign today of the two stone bays said to have been installed shortly before 1910.

The census of 1911 shows the occupants of the cottage to have been George Annakin aged 37, a stone mason (not a butcher!) born in Harrogate; his wife Eleanor aged 38, born Hampsthwaite and their daughter Eva aged 12 and born in Starbeck. We do not find them in earlier census returns for Hampsthwaite and they appear to be newly arrived in the village. Indeed, they are shown in the 1901 census as resident at Starbeck.

Eleanor’s maiden name appears to have been “Barker” – a name very prolific in Hampsthwaite records. Eva seems to have married into another long-established Hampsthwaite family viz: the Housemans.

The name of the cottage clearly arises from its proximity to the water pump lying close by (in the field behind Clarence Terrace) and one of Hampsthwaite’s few places where water could be drawn before the arrival of piped mains water (see the Directory entry for “The Village Pump”).
Pump Cottage
(click on photo to enlarge)
Link to 648