Recent articles

  • Hampsthwaite Bridge - photo

    "Hampsthwaite Bridge over the River Nidd. Built in 1598, rebuilt 1640, alterations made in the 19th century. I have been wanting to photograph this bridge for a while now; today the winter light, the sparse vegetation and the mottled snow that remained on the bank of a feeder drain, were perfect."Simon HillJanuary 17th 2021(click photo to return to full article)
  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    The Memorial Hall Management Committee has taken steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
RSS Feed of this page

The Draper's Shop (No. 2 High Street)

589[Alt:A & E Bramley’s Drapers Shop circa 1979/1980 (Photograph’s from Shaun Wilson’s Hampsthwaite collection - click on photos to see collection and quit new window to return to here))]
Article by Shaun L Wilson – July 2013 - Updated April 2017
No. 2 High Street, Hampsthwaite, formerly known as No.5 and No.6 Hyde Terrace was once the home and Drapers business belonging to Albert and Elsie Bramley who purchased the premises in 1964.

Elsie ran the shop until she retired in 1980 when she closed the shop and converted it into a Living Room as extended accommodation to her cottage. Albert died in 1971 at the age of 56.

Prior to Albert and Elsie’s purchase of the property from Milton Lambert in 1964 the property was occupied by Mr and Mrs Charles Knight and comprised Cottage (No.5 Hyde Terrace), Garage and a small Drapers shop (No.6 Hyde Terrace) on the end run by Mrs Knight with Mr Knights Workshop and Store above.

Mrs Knight’s Drapers shop was originally located in what is now Hampsthwaite Hair and Beauty Salon and the small shop (No.6 Hyde Terrace) was Fred Hopkinson’s Cobblers shop. Fred Hopkinson and Mrs Knight swapped premises so that the Knights home and business were all in one location.

Elsie would occasionally help Mrs Knight run the Drapers shop.

When the Knights moved out, Milton Lambert who owned the property converted the current Drapers shop and Garage into one large shop which was sold to Albert and Elsie with the adjoining cottage in 1964.
A & E Bramley’s Drapers Shop circa 1979/1980 (Photograph’s from Shaun Wilson’s Hampsthwaite collection - click on photos to see collection and quit new window to return to here))
A & E Bramley’s Drapers Shop circa 1979/1980 (Photograph’s from Shaun Wilson’s Hampsthwaite collection - click on photos to see collection and quit new window to return to here))
Where the large shop window can be seen in the photographs above, was Charles Knights Garage with Mrs Knights Drapers shop on the right and their cottage on the left.

The sign over the small shop window in the above photograph’s read ‘A & E Bramley, Drapers’.

The shop sold mainly women’s and children’s clothing, wools, cottons, zips, buttons etc. and for a period of time, Elsie baked and sold loaves of bread, bread buns, iced buns, scones, tarts, cakes etc. displaying them in the small shop window. The large shop window was dedicated to displaying clothes on manikin busts.

As you entered the shop from the High Street, the door triggered a bell and Elsie would appear from the house through a connecting door. There was a large glass display counter in front of you from where you were served, a glass counter on your left and one on your right in the form of an inverted ‘U’ shape. Behind the main counter on the back wall opposite the door were rows of shelves with packets of wools of every type, size and colour you could imagine.

The shop till was an old fashioned wooden one with a pull out drawer that rang a bell.

I can still remember, as a small boy playing a prank on Elsie, my Grandmother by entering the shop when it was empty and hiding in front of the counter so when she came to serve someone there was nobody there.

Other than some evidence of the former shop door being built up or knowledge of the shop you would not know of the Drapers shop existence.

The Drapers shop was a focal point within the village, as was Lundell’s corner shop and Newsagents opposite, now Hampsthwaite Village Store and the Post Office run by the Smiths, now run by Jane and Mozi Nami. Elsie new everyone in the village and everyone knew Elsie.

Elsie died in July 2014 at the age of 98 and the property was sold and is now in the ownership of others.

The two photographs below show what the property looked like before being converted by Milton Lambert.
The Old Post Office
The Old Post Office
A view up the High Street
A view up the High Street
The Draper's Shop (No. 2 High Street)
Article by Shaun L Wilson – July 2013 - Updated April 2017
589[Alt:A & E Bramley’s Drapers Shop circa 1979/1980 (Photograph’s from Shaun Wilson’s Hampsthwaite collection - click on photos to see collection and quit new window to return to here))]