Recent articles

  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    Following Lockdown, Village and Community Halls were able to accommodate indoor sport and exercise, dancing classes and certain other performance-related activity from 25th July 2020.The Memorial Hall Management Committee is taking a steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
RSS Feed of this page

Ivy Cottage

Link to 542
(click photo to enlarge)

In 'Villagers Reminiscences', the first of the Hampsthwaite Village Society’s history books, we read these words of George Wainwright . . . . . “Ivy Cottage, on the left of the village green (coming from Church Lane), where Eric Lundell lives now, was once the property of ‘Tinner’ Wade, a local tin-smith, who repaired pots and pans. As a lad, I went with my grandma to the sale that was held when he died. That must have been in 1927-28.”

Eric Lundell 1906-1995 - click for full size image
Eric Lundell 1906-1995
In the same volume, Eric Lundell described how "In 1928 I bought my house from ‘Tinner’ Wade for £400. At the time it was just a shell – it had no bathroom, no toilet, no electric light, no water. ‘Tinner’ had a cylinder at the back to make his own carbine gas and there was an ‘ash pit".

Water was collected from the village pump on the Green; electricity came to Hampsthwaite at the end of the 20s. To go back to ‘Tinner’, he had two daughters, one of whom, Mrs Metcalfe, owned the High Street Stores before the Calvert’s. ‘Tinner’ himself was a little man who did all his work in the loft, which he had boarded out and to which he gained access by a ladder."

(Eric’s memory was at fault, it seems, as to how much he had paid for the house all those years earlier, for the records of the Wakefield Deeds Registry show a price of £275!)

James (‘Tinner’) Wade was born in Dewsbury as was his wife Emily. It is assumed that they married there for their first daughter, Ann, was also born there and the family make their first appearance in census returns for Hampsthwaite in 1881 by which time a second child, Eliza, is also recorded (born in Hampsthwaite). The return for 1891 shows the family still in Hampsthwaite (although Eliza is no longer listed) and by 1911 James and Emily no longer have Ann living with them (was she now Mrs Metcalfe?). The returns are consistent with the family occupying Ivy Cottage throughout those years although they seem to have rented the house initially. The Conveyance to Eric Lundell on the 14th August 1928 indicates that the property was earlier held under Copyhold title by members of the Shann family (owners of much other land in Hampsthwaite) having been acquired by them in 1895 following the death of Charles Shann. It was some time thereafter that they must have sold the house to the tenant 'Tinner' Wade.

Further research is required to establish ownership of the property in the years preceding the death of Charles Shann nor is it yet clear when the house was built. The O.S. Map of 1853 would appear to show the house and the two abutting properties on the north but the detail of the buildings is indistinct.

image
What is clear is that the building has grown from smaller origins. In the following photograph we can see two chimney stacks, one on the roadside gable wall and the other in the centre of the roof line.
image

The chimneys mark the outer walls of the original structure and, indeed, variations in the courses and colours of the stonework make it obvious that the eastern end of the building is an addition to what was first erected. Joyce Lundell (Eric’s daughter-in-law) confirms this from her own recollection and also says that the eastern end replaced a single-storey, lean-to extension.

The Land Tax valuation of 1910 confirms the smaller extent of the building in that year when it describes the  cottage as . . .

       "Cottage 100 sq.yds. net...Occupier and Owner James Wade (Copyhold)
        Stone & blue slated cottage old & in good repair for age
        Contains 1 living room and back kitchen
        2 bedrooms: outside lean-to
        Coals & Privy"

Eric Lundell occupied the property until his death in 1995, after which it was sold and the new owners demolished the lean-to and replaced it with the two-storey extension we see today.

Ivy Cottage
(click photo to enlarge)
Link to 542