Recent articles

  • Christmas Tree Festival

    St. Thomas a Becket Church, Hampsthwaite are holding a Christmas Tree Festival over the weekend of 15th – 17th December.There will be a ‘Preview Evening & Concert ’ on Friday 15th with wine and canapes being served from 6.30 p.m and with a choral performance from Voces Seraphorum from 7.00 – 7.45 p.m. – tickets can be purchased from Hampsthwaite Post Office or you can buy them on the door (£7.00).The church will be open from 10.00 – 16.00 on Saturday 16th December for you to come along and enjoy the Christmas Trees and there will be refreshments served throughout the day.
  • Hands Off Hampsthwaite Action Group

    Newsletters and Updates resulting from Action Group meetings An Action Group to oppose excessive development in Hampsthwaite was formed following the public meting at the Memorial Hall on Thursday 19th July 2017.Meetings are held on Monday evenings, 6.00pm  at Sophie's Coffee Shop unless advised otherwise. Email: info@hampsthwaiteactiongroup.com URL: www.hampsthwaiteactiongroup.com FaceBook:@handsoffhampsthwaitevillage Twitter: https://twitter.com/HampsthwaiteAG
  • Management Committee Meetings

    "The general management and control of the Trust Premises and the Arrangements for their use shall be vested in a Committee of Management (hereinafter called “the Committee”) consisting of not more than Twenty-five members (exclusive of members co-opted . . . )" and "All members of the Committee shall retire annually at the Annual General Meeting". Extracts from Conveyance No.8791 dated 24th April 1953
  • HAMPSTHWAITE UNDER THREAT!

     
  • Birstwith Road Site (HM9)

    Harrogate Borough Council is preparing a new Local Plan that will set out how the district should grow and develop to 2035. Birstwith Road is proposed as an Additional Site HM9 and is now the subject of a consultation exercise.See: https://consult.harrogate.gov.uk/portal/pp/lp/as17/as17
  • HARROGATE DISTRICT LOCAL PLAN

    Harrogate Borough Council is currently preparing a new Local Plan which will set out how the district should grow and develop to 2035. Link to HBC's Online Planning Application Information (opens in a new window) Link to Harrogate District Draft Local Plan Additional Sites consultation 14 July - 25 August 2017 (opens in a new window)
  • HARROGATE DISTRICT LOCAL PLAN

    Harrogate Borough Council is currently preparing a new Local Plan which will set out how the district should grow and develop to 2035.Previous iterations of their proposals and supporting documents are listed below with particular reference to their impact on Hampsthwaite. Link to HBC's Online Planning Application Information (opens in a new window) Click on Images or Headings to link to related articles
  • Brookfield Garth Proposed Development

    HAMPSTHWAITE ONCE AGAIN UNDER THREAT! PROPOSED RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT BROOKFIELD GARTH, HAMPSTHWAITE  
  • Barkers Family History

    Images for Barker Family History Article
  • BARKER Family History

    Descendants of John and Grace BarkerbyShaun L Wilson – February 2017 Barker families have resided in Hampsthwaite since the early seventeenth century and were extensive in the area during the nineteenth century. From the 1881 England Census for Hampsthwaite taken on 3rd April that year, Barker was the most popular name totalling 57 out of 457 people enumerated – 12.5% of those recorded living in Hampsthwaite at the time of that census. From the registers of Hampsthwaite parish, Barkers were in existence as early as 1610. The earliest Barker mentioned is John Barker, son of Peter who was baptised on 17th March that year.Where Hampsthwaite is mentioned in this article it refers to both village and parish. We will never know exactly where the early Barker’s dwelling houses were as they are not recorded in either the parish registers or on the early census returns, but it is assumed that they lived in the village or within the parish. It was not until the England Census of 1911 that full address details were given together with the total number of children born alive to the present marriage of the head of the family.
RSS Feed of this page

The Medieval Way

image

Passing through the Parish Churchyard from east to west, foot passengers come across a gate on the western boundary as shown in the photograph above. This marks the start of what is known locally as the “Medieval Way” – a footpath leading after several hundred feet to the Birstwith Road.

As the name suggests, the footpath is believed to be of ancient origin and the route of an old road from the Birstwith direction to the church. It is covered for some distance by flat stone slabs believed by some to be of Roman origin.

A local antiquarian writing in January 1904 described how he ". . . noticed today that men were carting soil etc., to the new addition to the Churchyard so went across here. I find they have taken in about ¾ of an acre of the field to the West & South of the Church to quite close to the riverbank. This has necessitated the removal of the picturesque stone stile & steps leading from the old road from the Birstwith highway to the Church, & they have set back the fence so as to enclose about 50 yards of this road. They were busy removing the last of these steps when I watched them. The carting operations have revealed the foundation of the old road, & the large square paving stones are very evident & put the fact of its being a portion of the old Roman highway towards Kettlesing Head & "Watling Street" beyond all doubt, as it is in a direct line with the bit now used as a bridle road to Ripley.

This also establishes the position of the ford across the Nidd & certainly the river at this point is the most likely for the purpose today, though the building of the bridge may have assisted the formation of the gravel & shingle beds to some effect. Presence of old ford perhaps fixed site of or led to choice of site for Church & certainly would fix the site of the bridge in later years. The Churchyard will require several feet of filling in many places.

A remarkable fact is that the material being carted along the old road for filling, is what has gradually accumulated during many years from the spare material from graves dug in the old portion.

I spoke to Mr Peck (Vicar) about burials here; he stated that it was supposed that between 30 & 40 thousand persons are interred in the old part, it having been a grave yard about 500 years. At one time yearly average was about 50, now seldom more than six."

The stone stile and steps referred to are, presumably, those seen in this old photograph . . .

image

. . . which can be compared with this modern view from which it is apparent that the gate and wall have, indeed, been reconstructed much further to the west . . .

image

The Way makes a picturesque route as it continues to the west . . .

 - click for full size image
 - click for full size image
 - click for full size image
The Medieval Way

Passing through the Parish Churchyard from east to west, foot passengers come across a gate on the western boundary as shown in the photograph above. This marks the start of what is known locally as the “Medieval Way” – a footpath leading after several hundred feet to the Birstwith Road.

image