Recent articles

  • VE Day 75 – Friday 8th May 2020

    Our Memorial Hall was built to honour the fallen in two world wars and give thanks to those who returned. It is appropriate therefore that we play our full part in the national celebrations and village activities planned for May Day Bank Holiday 2020 - moved to Friday 8th May for this purpose.Our afternoon begins with a what is hoped will be a re-enactment of what is believed to have been a visit to Metcalfe’s shop by ‘Monty’ which will continue on to The Joiners where there will be renditions of the Last Post and The Battle’s O’er following by a Toast to the Heroes as per the suggested national programme, with the Ukulele Band providing additional entertainment during the afternoon. The evening ends with a 40's Dance Party at the Memorial Hall.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
  • Roman Roads in Yorkshire.

    Gazetteer by the Roman Roads Research AssociationCovering all of Britain’s Roman roads, the Gazetteer, when completed, will be the first survey of Britain’s Roman roads since Ivan Margary’s final edition of Roman Roads in Britain in 1973. We aim to provide an up to date evaluation of each Roman road and, since new discoveries are being made all the time this online resource gives us the flexibility to make amendments and additions.
  • Yoga for Health and Happiness

    Beginners’ 10 week course starts 29th April 2019 at Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall Monday 9:30am – 10:30am Course fee £60  Places limited For more info and to book, contact Sue Beever Mobile 07801 064819 Email suebeever@gmail.com
  • Hampsthwaite’s Dancing for Well-Being group on ITV

    A film featuring Dancing for Well-Being’s Hampsthwaite group will be shown on ITV’s Calendar North News at 6.00 p.m. on Friday 5th April.  From 1st April you can also see the film on the People’s Projects website – www.thepeoplesprojects.org.uk/projects/view/together-through-dance
  • Privacy and Cookies

    This privacy and cookies policy sets out how Hampsthwaite Village 2011 uses and protects any information that you may give Hampsthwaite Village 2011 when you use this website.
  • Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View

    (click photo to enlarge)
  • Sunnyside Cottage, Carpenter's Cottage and Croft View - photo

    (click photo to return to full article)
RSS Feed of this page

The Hollies

Link to 409

(click photo to enlarge)

It is very apparent from the above photograph that the dwelling known as "The Hollies" once consisted of a number of separate cottages and houses. We can discern four, perhaps five, units making up the present buildings.

This further (aerial) photograph supports that interpretation.
The Hollies Aerial Photo

The buildings make their first appearance on the O.S. Map of 1853 when only the first two or three units are shown i.e. from what is now called "The Granary" fronting Church Lane along to the second chimney stack from the left.

image

By 1891 the survey shows the whole line of buildings including that on the extreme right and set back behind the others. A close examination of the frontages suggests an original mix of houses/cottages of varying sizes. The most substantial portion of the block (the building at the right and behind the others) at one time was held in different ownership to the remainder (it was already owned by Hannah Burton when she acquired in 1909 the remainder of the block extending to and including The Granary fronting Church Lane). Later, in 1924, her executors sold the whole block and 27 acres of adjacent agricultural land to Dearlove Addyman). Until the conjunction of the buildings in the hands of Hannah Burton the large house seems to have had no land on its south side which raises the possibility that it once faced north towards the river. However, the north façade reveals nothing that might have been a "front" door and it has to be assumed that the principal entrance has always been on the south and that some sort of easement allowed access to it on foot from Church Lane (or that the property was accessed from the north or east)

The property was surveyed again in 1910 for the purpose of assessment to Land Tax and was described thus . . .

“House & Garden 2r 8p  Gross value £17 (land & buildings)
Rateable value £12.15s.0d.
Occupier: Annie.Corey (yearly tenancy £17)
Owner: Hannah Burton (freehold)

House: Stone & grey slated  old in fair repair
Contains: grd floor 2 Reception rooms, small study, kitchen, Scullery & Pantry
1st floor: 3 bedrooms, 1 dressing room, 2 small maids bedrooms & bathroom
Buildings: Stone & blue slated range in fairish repair situate east of house containing cowshed & stable & small cowshed
Portion adjoining house higher than remainder. Old pig sty (pto)[sic]”

According to the census of 1911 the occupiers were then:
Annie Riegels a widow aged 44 born Harrogate and her sons
William Powell (15), Ernest Rudolph (10) and Basil Carl (6).
The census of 1901 shows that Mrs Riegels then lived at Station Bridge in Harrogate with her husband William (58) a wine merchant (born Germany) and her children and three servants.

We have one old (very dark) photograph showing The Hollies in earlier times.

Link to 410

(click photo to enlarge)

The property has undergone extensive alteration and renovation in recent months. One alteration has been to create a larger entrance from Church Lane and this has the advantage of giving the passer-by a view of the house which was not until now much exposed to the public. The view is especially attractive when, as in the following photograph, the Wisteria plant climbing the house frontage is in full bloom.

image
The Hollies

(click photo to enlarge)

Link to 409