Recent articles

  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    Following Lockdown, Village and Community Halls were able to accommodate indoor sport and exercise, dancing classes and certain other performance-related activity from 25th July 2020.The Memorial Hall Management Committee is taking a steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
RSS Feed of this page

Old Parish Stables (site of)

image

This small piece of grassed land adjacent to the church lych-gate was once the site of the parish stables.

They were said to have replaced earlier pack-horse stables which were mentioned in a guide of 1894 written by Harry Speight ("Nidderdale and the garden of the Nidd"). He says that the Lamb Inn on the opposite side of Church Lane was frequented by pack-horse carriers passing through the village on their way between York and Skipton but that the old pack-horse stables were done away with when the parish stables were erected by public subscription in 1866. Nothing stands there now but the Ordnance Survey Map of 1853 does indicate the presence of a short row of buildings extending across the full width of the plot. When the O.S.Map of 1891 was published they were still there but the later map of 1907 shows them reduced in length by two thirds.

We have a photograph taken in the 1960s and which shows Nutshell Cottages which once occupied an adjacent plot on the south.

Link to 369

The photograph reveals what is assumed to be the residue of the stables next to the right-hand cottage.

 - click for full size image

Above the stable-like door can be seen an oblong stone. This appears to be the stone recording the construction of the stables and which was, following the demolition of the stable, stored under the church.

 - click for full size image

In March 2010 the stone was affixed to the north wall of the stable site as can be seen in this second photograph. It now provides a welcome reminder of the site's original purpose.

 

Nutshell Cottages were demolished in 1974 and that was when the remnant of the stables disappeared also.

Long-standing residents Leslie Clough and Doris Peel tell us that the stable had "at one time been used for the stabling of horses on which the clergy rode to church. To the left of this building and originally joining it were two cottages. These were demolished in 1974, leaving only one wall as a support to the stable. When an estimate was obtained for the erection of an inner wall to act as a back-up, it was considered - at £1,250 - to be 'a lot of money' for the Church Council to spend on a building which, although in the oldest part of the village and covered by a preservation order, had become just a storehouse. On 21st November 1974 - acting under the law - the Parochial Church Council voted to 'replace and extend the existing Parish Stable' and to accept Mr and Mrs Brian Pugh's kind offer to 'pay the cost of demolition, any architect's fees which might be incurred and make a gift of £3,000 towards the cost of a new building', a building which was to house the Sunday School and a toilet. The demolition took place; the new building never materialised on the site".

Angela Sansam comments..."My grandmother maintained that before the building was a stable it had been a tiny cottage in which her mother Sarah Patrick was born in about 1850. This would be entirely possible. Many people today are quite unrealistic about the sort of housing our forebears occupied. Only the better standard of house survives. Most people in Hampsthwaite, as elsewhere, lived in earth-floored, one-room, ling-thatched hovels. Conditions only began to improve after the 1840s or so."

Angela's great-grandmother Sarah appears in the 1851 census as a 2-year old child living with her parents James (47) (agricultural labourer) and Sarah (39) and their other children James (11), Charles (9), John (7), Ann (6) and Ellen (4). By 1861 Ann, John and Charles are no longer listed and by 1871 Ellen is also no longer recorded. If the family was indeed living in 1851 in the same building we see in our photograph above then conditions must have extremely crowded! As Angela reminds us, life was very different in those days.

Old Parish Stables (site of)

This small piece of grassed land adjacent to the church lych-gate was once the site of the parish stables.

image