Recent articles

  • Previous COVID-19 Announcements

    Previous announcements and updates from UK Gov and ACRE
  • DT Forge

    DT Forge exists to promote good craftsmanship in a rich variety of materials, using traditional hand crafting techniques, supplemented by modern tooling and processes. Products range from original designs in high quality materials to artefacts made by sensitive recycling of iconic objects with the aim of extending their lifespan. "Making something out of the ordinary, out of the ordinary”
  • Memorial Hall and COVID-19

    Following Lockdown, Village and Community Halls were able to accommodate indoor sport and exercise, dancing classes and certain other performance-related activity from 25th July 2020.The Memorial Hall Management Committee is taking a steps to qualify the hall as being COVID-19 Secure as follows: We have conducted a Memorial Hall Risk Assessment and made it available to all users. We have cleaning, handwashing and hygiene procedures in line with UK Government guidance We have taken all reasonable steps to help hall users keep safe from COVID-19 We have taken all reasonable steps to help Hirers maintain Social Distancing when using the hall Where people cannot keep 2m apart we have advised Hirers on the mitigating actions they might take to manage transmission risk
  • VE Day 75 - Stay at Home Street Party - 8th May 2020

    Stay at Home Street Party - Decorate your House in Red, White & Blue and enjoy a picnic in your front Garden”.The village was bedecked in red, white and blue bunting (see also a short video taken by resident Charles Charlesworth on the Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall FaceBook page)Teas were prepared by the local coffee shop, Sophie's.With sandwiches, sausage roll, cream scone and Victoria sponge. One recipient later declared it to be “As good as tea at the Ritz”. A VE day quiz was also distributed with each tea.A group of volunteers distributed the teas, one came appropriately dressed in an outfit from the 1940s
  • Frank and Peggy Shuffe - Licensees at the Joiners Arms 1956-1977

    Frank Shuffe, the from 1956, was an English professional footballer who played as a right back for Bradford City and later became trainer at Valley Parade.On leaving football he became manager of the The Prospect Hotel at Ecckeshill, Bradford during October 1953 before moving on to become Landlord of the Joiner's Arms in 1956 Frank died at Harrogate Hospital on 7 February 1973 after a short illness aged 55. Peggy continued on with their son John, a keen sportsman, until she retired in 1978 and moved to live near friends in Scotland  
  • The 'Spanish Flu' - Hampsthwaite 1918

    Milly Hebblethwaite was  a delightful and diligent 14 year old pupil at Hampsthwaite school, who came from a growing family who lived in the Hollins.  The previous year the school had given her a prize for her excellent attendance.  She died of influenza on 10th November, 1918;  This was one day before the end of the ‘War to end wars,’ the first World war.[article by Angela Sansam - June 2020]
  • DTOnline

    DT Online aims to provide, free at the point of use, a substantive resource base generated by teachers and educationalists to support Design and Technology education.The project is supported by the enterprises listed below.
  • UCI Road World Cycling Championships Come Through Hampsthwaite 2019

    Click on the NYCC Interactive Map below to see details of all road closures, parking restrictions, diversions and race timings. Briefly for Hampsthwaite they are as follows:Tuesday 24th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 23 Sep 22:00 - 24 Sep 18:30 - Road closed:  08:30 - 17:30 Mens U23 Individual Time Trial due to come through between 10:35 and 12:18 Women Elite Individual Time Trial due to come through between15:07 and 16:35 Saturday 28th Sept. 2019 for High Street and Elton Lane : No Parking: 27 Sep 22:00 - 28 Sep 16:00 - Road closed: 28 Sep 13:40 - 15:00 Publicity Caravan - leaves Ripon at 12.34 so due here around 1.10pm Women Elite Road Race due to come through between14.29 and 14.47 Click on the FanZone image to see full details of the many attractions on Harrogate centre during race week
  • Plans, Layouts and Resources

    Hampsthwaite Memorial Hall can provide facilities and resources for most events and has a good car park with marked spaces for over 50 cars. There is a well-equipped kitchen and catering area with dishwasher, water-heater, micro-wave, Rangemaster Pro induction cooker and ample supplies of crockery, glassware and cutlery. Adjacent to the Kitchen is a Servery with hatchways through to both the Main Hall and Dining Room (or small hall) which can be used as a bar. The Memorial Hall is licenced to sell alcohol. The Main Hall includes a well-equipped stage area and Green Room at one end, with P.A. system, both rear and front projection facilities for DVD, Blu-ray or data, ample stage-lighting, star-cloth, a mirror ball, and can be rigged with a ceiling canopy if needed. The Main Hall can open out into the adjacent Sun Lounge to accommodate larger numbers or as a bar area. The Dining Room, or small hall, is used for meetings, for groups, to place a buffet for example, or as another alternative bar area. There are ample chairs to furnish each of the spaces using either rectangular or circular tables. Table cloths and chair covers are available on request.
  • George Frederick Grimshaw - biography

    George Frederick Grimshaw 20th October 1914 - 17th June 1940
RSS Feed of this page

Manor Farm House

Link to 389

(click photo to enlarge)

In this present-day photograph it is possible to discern the farming origins of the buildings now called The Manor Farm House. The left hand portion is clearly a conversion of a former barn. An old aerial photograph makes the former history and use very clear.

Link to 382

(click photo to enlarge)

The house is one of Hampsthwaite's Grade II listed structures and is described thus . . . . . "House. Early C19. Coursed squared gritstone, grey slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Quoins. Half-glazed 4-panel door to right of centre in gabled porch; 4-pane sashes in plain stone surrounds with projecting sills throughout. Shaped kneelers, gable copings, end corniced stacks. Included for group value."

That last sentence reveals the listing to be justified by the house's contribution to the group of buildings amongst which it stands.

Writing in 1871, William Grainge ("Harrogate and the Forest of Knaresborough") says . . . . .

"In the field called the Hall Garth, adjoining the village on the west, are traces as if some important building had formerly stood there. The name also is suggestive of some such erection. The farm to which it belongs is sometimes called the Manor Farm; it is of freehold tenure, and was purchased by the late Mr. B.J.Wilson from C.H.Elsley, Esq., late Recorder of York. These lands at one time belonged to the Priory of St. Robert's of Knaresborough. In 1869, this farm was purchased by William Sheepshanks, Esq., of Leeds and Harrogate, the present owner."

The Ordnance Survey Map of 1891 shows the farmhouse and its outbuildings under the name "Manor House Farm" but the 1853 map calls it "Hall Garth Farm".

Given its proximity to the parish church and to the adjacent parsonage there can be little doubt about the farmland's early ownership by St. Robert's Priory but Grainge's statement about ownership at the time he was writing may not be quite accurate. According to the records at the West Riding Deeds Registry a substantial amount of land in Hampsthwaite had been awarded in the 1770s on the Inclosure of the Forest of Knaresborough to the Reverend Gregory Elsley. His successor, the Reverend Heneage Elsley was party in 1829 to a Lease and Release with Bilton Josephus Wilson (see the entry for Thimbleby House in Church Lane) and one Mathew Thackray - that deed specifically described the Manor Farmhouse and its outbuildings and fields in these terms . . . . .

"the Manor or reputed manor of Hampsthwaite in the County of York and all that messuage or farmhouse called the Manor House with the outbuildings, foldyard (?), gardens and stackyard thereto belonging and containing by admeasurement with the sites of the buildings two roods and twenty seven perches And also all those several closes or parcels of arable meadow and pasture land adjoining the said messuage and premises called by the several names and containing by admeasurement the respective quantities hereinafter mentioned be the same or any of them more or less or otherwise called or known that is to say Well Garth two roods and nine perches Church Croft seven acres two roods and seven perches the new High Pasture and Thirstly Field now in one close fourteen acres one rood and nine perches The Brackenbridge Wood or Plantation four acres and thirty three perches the Calf House Hill and Far High Pasture now in one close called the Horse Pasture adjoining Tang Beck ten acres three roods and seventeen perches Hebden Pasture five acres one rood six perches the Far White Field five acres thirty five perches the near White Field six acres two roods and twenty seven perches Long Aynham six acres and twenty eight perches Broke Bank six acres and thirty three perches the Great Close ten acres three roods and twenty five perches and the High Close seven acres one rood and thirty five perches.."

It has to be surmised that this deed was that under which Bilton Wilson acquired the land and when the next transaction appears in the records on 6th April 1870 involving an apparent disposal of this and other property to the Reverend Thomas Sheepshanks by the Reverend John Grisedale, Thomas Sanders and William Pollock that those three gentlemen were the executors of the will of Bilton Wilson who had died in 1866.

On the 8th November 1922 the farmhouse and its lands were conveyed by William Sheepshanks (son of Thomas who, presumably, had died in the meantime) to Frederick Alfred Aykroyd of Birstwith Hall. The deed gives a good description of the extent of the property which is said to include enclosures (as numbered on the 1909 Map) 326/322/280/282/283/284/286/279 (and 270 then in one)/281/264/260/285/259 (allotments) 269/265/263/262/ and 267 all of which were also delineated on the plan annexed to the conveyance.

On the 8th October 1936 Sir (as he then was) Frederick conveyed the property (and substantial other property) to the Tang Estates.

Here are two old views of the farmhouse taken from early postcards.

Link to 387
Link to 388

(click photo to enlarge)

Click here for extracts from early census returns

Manor Farm House

(click photo to enlarge)

Link to 389